Under the overall guidance of Head of Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Research, the holder of the position will be responsible for managing; monitoring evaluation, accountability, learning and reporting of programme results in line with the theory of change. He/she will ensure high quality programme planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning across all projects by establishing relevant MEAL systems to keep track and report on programme progress and by providing technical guidance and mentorship to partners at all levels. The job holder will take a lead on MEAL activities, including ensuring that appropriate programme documentation, reporting and filing processes are in place. The MEAL Officer will work in close collaboration with programme team, district stakeholders and other stakeholders.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- The MEAL Officer will be responsible for designing and implementing systems to ensure appropriate outcome measurement and performance management.
- S/he will provide technical leadership to develop programme framework, plans and indicators to capture performance results and provide effective, accurate and timely monitoring, evaluation and reporting of all programme activities.
- The MEAL Officer will have the primary responsibility of consolidating programme reports on activity outputs and outcomes and ensuring that lessons learned are integrated into programme implementation to continuously improve quality of interventions and outcomes.
- The MEAL Officer is responsible for documenting and disseminating programme successes and challenges to MenEngage partners and relevant stakeholders.
- The MEAL Officer will also be responsible for designing and conducting operations research to track annual progress of the programme on key outcomes.
- Ensure quality and timely preparation of monitoring, evaluation and research reports and also timely dissemination internally and externally.
- Take lead in documentation and sharing of best practices across all MenEngage Uganda partners and relevant stakeholders.
- Responsible for the preparation of a Performance Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan, with appropriate indicators and an effective data collection system.
- Oversee data collection to ensure data quality standards are applied and procedures are in place, data analysis, reporting on actual achievements in light of set targets, highlighting emerging patterns and offering clear reports on findings and conclusions.
- Supervise the collection of quantitative and qualitative data, use scientific methods to ensure high quality of data, and design a reporting system that provides insights to decision makers on grant programme performance and areas that need management’s attention.
- Track and analyse programme indicators and other statistics and prepare high quality and timely reports as per the PMELP.
- Ensure that all information required for submission to donors is collected and submitted in a valid, reliable and timely manner.
- Lead in the development of impact indicators and data collection which properly represents the impact of grants.
- Ensure that outcomes of monitoring and evaluation of programmes feed into the PMELP.
- Analyse data collected and synthesise research findings into succinct reporting for use by both the STF partners and the relevant stakeholders.
- Work with data platforms, database, and select technologies to capture and organise data.
- Maintain reporting schedules, communicate upcoming deadlines to all staff, partners (where applicable) and coordinate programme report preparation processes.
- Ensure donor compliance during reporting in terms of donor templates and deadlines.
- Review reports and ensure that high quality reports are submitted to the donor as per requirements of the fund summary and reporting deadlines.
- Ensure that the data used for reporting is valid, reliable and timely.
- Participate in key donor meetings where necessary to foster long term collaboration and engagement.
- Lead on MEAL donor compliance reviews and training for all MenEngage Uganda staff and partners with donor support as necessary.
Comply with all relevant MenEngage Uganda policies and procedures in place.
Staff directly reporting to this post: Data Officer.
Qualifications and Experience
- Holder of a Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Social Sciences, Development Studies or a related field. A post graduate qualification in Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Research is an added value.
- Have at least 3 years’ experience of similar work with a good knowledge and strong demonstrated experience in monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning, including participatory approaches.
- Candidate should be able to work independently – with minimum supervision and guidance from supervisors.
- Demonstrated and extensive social media experience is an added advantage.
- Experience in and the ability to facilitate capacity building and training at different levels for MEAL and NON-MEAL staff.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills are required, additional language skills are a plus, excellent coordination and organisational skills.
- Ability to plan workload and demonstrate accountability for outputs with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure, ability to prioritise, and commitment to meet deadlines.
- Proven knowledge of computerised systems; high degree of computer literacy and word processing and spreadsheet/Excel skills. Experience with statistical packages (e.g. SPSS, STATA) and familiarity with IT applications to support MEAL and information management an added advantage.
NOTE: MenEngage Uganda is an equal opportunity employer. Women and girls are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
All interested and qualified persons should submit their application and CV via email to MenEngageUganda@gmail.com. Address your email to Country Director, MenEngage Gender Equality Network Uganda. Please specify the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.