The Network membership includes community based organizations as well as NGOs acting from a national perspective. The Network builds strategic partnerships with government departments and individuals working with boys and men in HIV and AIDS, gender based violence (GBV) and sexual reproductive health rights. The Network has an established secretariat and a steering committee. The latter is responsible for the management of the Network. The steering committee membership is made up of the following organizations: SPPDF, GLID, ABATANGAMUCO, APFB.
The Network aims to support men and boys who are committed to fight against gender based violence, to contribute to women’s empowerment and promote gender equality in Burundi.
- Combat against SGBV
- Conduct fact-based research in order to document the interventions, gaps and strategies
- Increase the awareness of men on their role in ending SGBV
- Promote healthy reproductive practices
- Involve men and boys in anti HIV-AIDS programs
- In partnership with CARE, the Network has elaborated the National Strategic Plan 2013-2017 to engage men and boys in gender equality
- The member NGOs have facilitated workshops and community-based initiatives to build awareness on the engaging men and boys in gender equality approach
- Establishment of a functional National Steering Committee
- Media campaign on MenEngage approach in preventing SGBV and HIV
- Regular training workshops with men and boys for the promotion of gender equality, and the prevention and mitigation of HIV and AIDS
- Holding of consultative meetings with various key partners including relevant ministries, PROMUNDO, CARE, UNFPA
- Participated in the recent Annual Regional MenEngage Planning Meeting 25-27November 2013 Park Inn Hotel, Sandton in Johannesburg